Question:
For Guitar Players Only?
2009-10-26 22:05:26 UTC
so i need to buy new strings but i need some clarification on which kind to buy..

i play a lot of blues and rock, rarely metal.
i like to play some Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn sorta stuff and i was wondering what guages of strings are good for that stuff..

i need some that can withstand some heavy bending without breaking.

and if anyone can recomend a certain brand that'd be great.
thanks
Four answers:
Norm Jones
2009-10-26 23:15:11 UTC
Hello there,

Fender Bullets in 11s would suit your purpose.

Good luck,
Soulmate
2009-10-27 05:14:00 UTC
Get the same gauge you have now or you'll need to get your guitar adjusted. Which is not a big deal, but if you're set up for 10s and you put 9s on you may wind up fretting out or buzzing. on the other hand if you are set up for 9s and you put 10s or 11s on your strings may wind up pretty far off the neck.

if you aren't sure what to get, take your guitar to a music store and ask them to tell you what you have on the guitar now. An experienced player can generally tell by feel what the gauge of the first string is.

For rock and bluse I like ernie ball 009s as a starting point. They're light enough to bend and not so light that they're hard to play in tune. And they don't cost an arm and a leg. about $3.50 a set at juststrings.com

Which I might add is an awesome site for strings of any kind. I buy some hard-to-find jazz flatwounds from them that I can't find anywhere else. And I just picked up a boatload of those Ernies at that cheapo price you won't find elsewhere.

good luck
Tommymc
2009-10-27 13:54:53 UTC
The brand you choose will be a matter of your personal choice. If you're doing a lot of bending, you'll want extra light gauge .009's. The thing about gauges is that the lighter you go, it's a trade-off. The lighter strings will bend easier, and be easier on your fingers...but they won't have as fat a sound as heavier ones. I've started using D'Addario XL-125 strings. They are .009-.046w which is super light top strings but regular bottom. I think it's a good compromise.
jugnoo is running horse
2009-10-27 05:12:32 UTC
bagee