Question:
What's the best way to organize a digital music collection that has duplicates and some bad tags?
mike_tatum2000
2005-12-08 10:23:34 UTC
Because of several hard drive failures, and consolidation efforts across multiple computers, I now have a very messy digital music collection. Does anyone know a solution that can effectively identfiy duplicates, and help clean up metadata in the files?
Three answers:
Spaceboy88
2005-12-08 10:27:09 UTC
iTunes is probably your best bet, as it has a "find duplicates" feature which you can then use to clean up your collection.

It also does a great job of cleaning up the metadata in your files as well.
turtletime
2005-12-08 18:31:41 UTC
There are a number of ways, but I think the best way for you would be to use a music library manager. It allows you to go through albums and tag them based on online databases like freedb.org etc... It then stores all of your titles in a databasee and can even rename and organize the actual file structure. Helium Music Manager is probably exactly what you are looking for. Amarok is for linux and has a few less features.
jko
2005-12-08 18:34:44 UTC
I was in a similar situation. I had a great deal of luck with MusicBrainz - http://musicbrainz.org/ It looks for a digital fingerprint of each file and tries to tag it automatically. It was quite accurate with my huge mp3 collection.