Question:
Optical vs RCA inputs for surround sound?
GenO
2005-12-09 04:49:28 UTC
I want to add an audio enhancer between my DVD player and reciever but Im using optical and my exciter/enhancer has only RCA conectors. Will my reciever know if its DTS or Dolby using the RCA conections instead of the optical?

I want to use an enhancer to get a crisp sound and hear the dialog better. It sounds muddy. The speakers are of great quality.
One answer:
boss21xd
2005-12-09 07:49:17 UTC
Standard RCA connectors will not and should not carry digital signals. In order to use the 5.1 RCA connectors, your DVD player will have to decode the Dolby or DTS signal, convert it to analog, and pass it through the 7.1 outputs to your receiver. Your receiver will not have to know if it is Dolby of DTS because it will be an analog pass through.